Both hands on the wheel. 10 and 2. Especially in the rain.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

The day I got worked over by a kid with junior gears.

It was Tuesday. And apparently the Mainstay's bridesmaid's disease is contagious. Either that, or I just suck, which is a far more likely scenario. It all started when I called my shot the week before the first Tuesday night crit of '08. I told the Mainstay I was taking a flyer with 3 to go, and I wasn't coming back. I guess I got confused, and I rolled clear of the raging sea of Primal Wear 3 laps in. Over about an hour's time, 4 guys got whittled down to 2. One guy got dropped, and another pulled out of the break because he had to go home. Seriously. He just had to go home. Then it was down to me and the 17 year old kid. We agreed to work together until the last lap. So now I'm cutting deals with a teenager at the Tuesday night crit. Last lap rolls around, we sprint, and I think he put 175 meters into me in the last 200. And it's not like I didn't try. Then the little bastard told me he was sprinting at about 75% in his 13. I almost crashed him. I'll never own this jersey....and it's even better than Primal Wear. Had you asked me on Monday, I would've told you this thing wasn't coming off my back all year. I've already proven that I don't own Saturday or Sunday, and I'm not so hot on Wednesday. Thursday's out, and Friday's not looking too good either. Maybe I should shoot for Monday. Rent to own is the motto.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that you showed up 20 minutes late, so the junior did the entire 60 minute crit and beat a guy twice his age that rode a little over half the distance. And I thought my 2nd place on Airport ride to a 40yr old was embarassing!

The Amateur said...

mainstay, settle down. i know seeing those rainbow stripes got you all worked up...but 20 minutes?! i was just late enough to miss your fictitious 2 lap solo flyer that alomost lapped the field.

Matt said...

but don't you think his friends would have made more fun of him for getting beat by a guy twice his age?

kim potter said...

this is like THE funniest blog ive ever read!