Both hands on the wheel. 10 and 2. Especially in the rain.

Friday, February 22, 2008

It's about to get ugly

This weekend is the official kick-off of the race season with the Donaldson Center road race in Greenville, SC. For some reason this race is always a disaster for me. I go there thinking I'm fit, and I'm trying to envision how I'm going to put myself in a spot to win. Then the wheels come off; sometimes literally. Bad things always seem to happen here. I've even been lapped at this race. It's a road race. Lapped. In this case, there was a huge crash; I got tagged in the head by a flying bike, and instead of taking a free lap (who the fuck takes a free lap in a road race?) like the other 50 guys involved did, I rode on. So I took a lap...but not a free lap. I paid for it. And for the first and hopefully last time in my life, I got lapped in a road race. Only a true Amateur can pull that off.
The good news is that normally when I have a horrible race here, I have a decent few races ahead. When I was even more Amateur than I am now, I got dropped somewhere around the first lap of this race, then came back to win Raccoon Mountain a couple weeks later. It's kinda like the par 3 tournament at the Masters. You don't want to win it. So I've got one goal this weekend. Don't win. I've been giving it some thought, and I think I can pull this off. Hell, I've been doing it for years.

While focusing on not winning, I will be trying my best to help Chaz Michael Michaelson win the Masters race, then helping The Imposter bring down a W in the Pro1/2. The Imposter's a very hard man right now. He said so himself. And he really needs to get laid. Victory is the only option here. Chaz on the other hand needs some sleep tonight. Cinderella's gotta get ready for the ball.

Meanwhile, Mainstay will be chasing that elusive win at the Tucker 500. Don't count on any good news from that camp. Remote text commentary with the Mainstay will be posted after the official results of the Tucker 500 are released. Until then, please take the time to place a wager on your favorite rider in the latest poll.

No comments: