Both hands on the wheel. 10 and 2. Especially in the rain.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sometimes you think you're a pimp...


...and oftentimes that's when you get knocked the fuck out. Like Saturday for instance. CBrown and I headed up to Avery Trace completely confident that we were about to cash in on a solid climbing race paying 20 deep...with a cat 2 bonus on top of that. Easy money. Here's how it all went down: We got absolutely rocked. No one in the top 20. No money.

The course was one huge loop- no multiple laps...which meant two things for certain: 1. I would not get lapped. 2. I would not take a free lap. This was an adjustment for me, as I've been known to do both. So apparently lots of guys thought we needed to race this thing like a Tour stage....full gas to the base of the climbs and even faster up them. I personally thought it was a bit much. And Olheiser seemed to think he needed to race it like a TT stage. His one man train (engine, boxcars, and caboose) left the station a handful of miles in, never to be seen again. I'm done trying to figure out how. Much like Hoppy and kinda like the Mainstay, he's got stripes. That I do know.

Who brought home the bacon on this day? Corky did. 5th place in the 4's...and 30 bucks. The Tuesday Nite Yard Sale had a good ride as well, but brought home no bacon. He clearly left it all on the road; as evident by his post-race scolding of a statue for being out in the rain with a laptop. It should also be noted that CBrown exacted some revenge on the masters field on Sunday for Saturday's P1/2 shortcomings. He's the newly crowned masters 30+ TN state criterium champ. Congrats my man!

I neither raced, nor won anything on Sunday. Kinda like Saturday.

No comments: