Both hands on the wheel. 10 and 2. Especially in the rain.

Monday, March 16, 2009

River Falls Road Race: by the numbers

Greenville: the land of the free lap in a road race...I should've taken one, but that would've meant that I would have to get back in the race. No thanks. I'll take a DNF, and my buddy Mainstay will as well. Two DNF's please, and thank you. The race report is pretty simple. On the 4th lap, The Mainstay came off on the climb. I made the front group over the climb, got cocky, and got ridden straight the fuck off the wheel in front of me on a flat section on the backside. Not gapped off. I didn't have to hit the brakes because a couple idiots touched wheels. No one crashed. No nasty crosswinds. I wasn't eating, and there were no ill-timed attacks. I couldn't hold a wheel on a flat section of road. Done. In my opinion, they were just going way too fast. The front of that race appeared to be in a BIG hurry. My preparation was spot on, so I'm not really sure where it all went wrong. I got my traditional pre race cinnamon twists from Einstein's and everything. Two of them. That obviously didn't work, so now I'm starting to think I should've trained this winter.

Number of miles driven: 350
Number of miles in the race: 66
Number of miles raced: 25
Hours in the car: 6
Hours on the bike: 1
Average watts: pretty low (I got droppped)
Average watts of the Mainstay: pretty low (he got dropped)
Average watts of the winner: pretty high (he won)
Number of beers in the cooler: 12
Number of beers consumed before hitting the GA state line: 12
Number of stops to replenish supply: 1
Number of beers purchased: 2
Number of ounces in each beer: 24 (2- 24 oz beers for $2.22- HTFU!)

So I decided it was time to start training seriously again. So I rode 3.5 hrs on Tuesday....rode all the way from Atlanta to the Tuesday night crit. I figure that'll get me through July-ish.

No comments: